Last month, we wrote a blog post about overcoming your dental anxiety. We told you that it’s common for people to have anxiety about going to the dentist, whether they’ve heard horror stories from people they know, had a bad experience at the dentist, or have been influenced by negative depictions of dentists on TV or in movies. Either way, we told you that 1st In Smiles can help relieve your anxiety with a kind team, creature comforts, and sedation!
Today, we want to address specific dental procedures and how we can help make you comfortable during whichever one you need. From cleanings to root canals, we want to make sure you have the best experience here at our Plano, Texas dentist office!
Some people cringe when they see the dental tools used to clean their teeth, including scalers (those hook-shaped instruments). Just thinking about these in your mouth can prevent people from going to the dentist! Although these hand scalers cause little to no pain, we offer a completely painless way to clean your teeth. Our Cavitron ultrasonic scaler uses sonic vibrations to clean your teeth, whether for a regular cleaning or for deep cleaning as a gum disease treatment.
The ultrasonic scaler offers several benefits to you:
- less pain
- less time
- no cuts in your gums – there are no sharp edges to cut you
- great stain removal
- possible teeth polishing without gritty substance
If you need a cleaning, see why our patients choose us for our comfortable cleaning options.
A bonus: We use digital X-rays during your cleaning and exam appointment, so you don’t have to be uncomfortable doing X-rays the old-fashioned way.
Do you need a tooth extraction? What about wisdom tooth removal, or a root canal? These are some of the most feared dental treatments of all. But with modern conveniences, you can be confident that your 1st In Smiles team will keep you as relaxed as possible.
Here at our office, we can use sedation dentistry to help keep you calm. We offer:
- nitrous oxide, a mild form of sedation (and it’s FREE here!);
- oral conscious sedation, a stronger form of sedation that leaves you relaxed and a little groggy; and
- IV sedation, a strong form of sedation that often allows patients to doze off and not even remember their visit.
Aside from sedation, our skilled staff practices gentle, precise techniques from years of experience. We even have a specialist come in and work with Dr. Barfield on more difficult cases, meaning you’ll have two highly experienced professionals watching over you! This alone can make your experience much more pleasant, plus it can help speed up recovery.
Do you have a crooked smile? Although not an outright fear, braces can be offputting for teens and adults alike. People understand that braces can hurt: they can cut your gums and cheeks, and the pressure can be really uncomfortable! Who wants to deal with the pain for years to get a straighter smile? On top of that, who wants to deal with the embarrassment of a metal mouth?
That’s why we offer Invisalign, an alternative to braces that uses clear, plastic aligners. These aligners are comfortable and only sometimes cause a slight feeling of pressure when worn, ensuring that they’re doing their job! The smooth plastic means you can’t cut your gums, and the clear appearance means you don’t have to be self-conscious while your teeth are being perfected.
There are other benefits to Invisalign; check them out here.
There are two fear factors when it comes to fillings: pain from drilling and appearance. We can help solve these for you at 1st In Smiles! Here’s how:
1. Tooth-colored fillings: Our Plano dentist office uses white fillings instead of metal fillings. These form a more natural bond to your teeth, so they do not require as much drilling as amalgam fillings. This is good in the long run, too, because by drilling less, we preserve more of your healthy tooth structure and can keep it stronger. Tooth-colored fillings blend in with your teeth, so no one has to notice that you’ve had dental work done. Try disguising an unsightly metal filling!
2. Sedation: If you are extremely scared about a filling, fear not! We will apply local anesthesia to numb the area so you don’t feel a thing. If you’re still anxious, ask us about sedation.
1st In Smiles: A Pleasant Dental Visit, at Last!
For other ways to have a pleasant experience at the dentist, call us today! Our kind and caring staff would love to help address any concerns you have. If you’re ready to make an appointment, contact us today! You’ll see why, like so many of our patients, 1st In Smiles is their top choice for comfortable dental care!